Germ free mice, also called Axenic, are animals free of all foreign life forms apart from itself (as determined within the limitations of the detection methods available).
Elimination of gastrointestinal microflora increases host susceptibility to infectious disease and for this reason germ free animals must be housed under more strict conditions of Bioexclusion.
For decades the choice for mice housing and bioexclusion was to use Isolators, because they can maintain a high positive pressure and their excellent level of protection and bioexclusion is well known.
However, the need to have a more versatile system that allowed working in a more ergonomic and flexible way, also increasing density, began to grow.
Thus, the idea of combining the advantages of the isolators, with the advantages of the classic IVC: a more flexible system, with greater density given by the increased number of cages in a certain space, and the effective separation between the cages’ environment that avoid the risk of cross-contamination.
This led to the birth of the ISOcage, which is a cage-level isolator to house germ free or gnotobiotic animals.
ISOcage is a hermetic cage with HEPA filter at cage level that ensures high pressure mode so as to be an ideal solution for Bioexclusion applications.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
- Procedural diversity and technical choices working with gnotobiotic mice in IVCs. (part 2) 27 September 2021
- Procedural diversity and technical choices working with gnotobiotic mice in IVCs. (part 1) 30 August 2021
- UV Light and its exclusive use in Biosafety Cabinets of Gnotobiotic facilities (Part 2) 5 July 2021
- UV Light and its exclusive use in Biosafety Cabinets of Gnotobiotic facilities (Part 1) 7 June 2021
- Hydrogen peroxide: two main delivery methods for Gnotobiotic Facilities 10 May 2021
DVC – Digital Ventilated Cage for digital vivarium
The DVC® is capable to provide novel insights and enhance animal welfare checks thanks to the automatic data collection directly from the cage level. Specifically designed DVC® board enables different benefits for the researchers and vivarium people.