The Air Handling Unit (AHU) is an essential tool to guarantee the welfare of germ free animals.
To ensure the desired performances it is important to carry out the proper maintenance, which includes a regular decontamination.
The best and most common decontamination of the Air Handling Unit is effected with Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) and can be performed in 3 different ways: In loop by using a gas generator, inside a decon-lock, or through a room decontamination.
In all the different procedures, it is crucial to close the circuit between the supply and the exhaust in order to ensure that the decontaminant reaches all the inside parts of the ventilation unit.
For the same reason, it is also important to reduce the working performances of the blower in order to slow down. The slow movement of the air inside the unit allows the Hydrogen Peroxide to penetrate for a certain contact time that guarantees a proper decontamination.
This can be easily done through the air handling unit software, which includes the feature for a disinfection cycle with Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2)
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
- UV Light and its exclusive use in Biosafety Cabinets of Gnotobiotic facilities (Part 2) 5 July 2021
- UV Light and its exclusive use in Biosafety Cabinets of Gnotobiotic facilities (Part 1) 7 June 2021
- Hydrogen peroxide: two main delivery methods for Gnotobiotic Facilities 10 May 2021
- The involvement of microbiome in neurological disorders: an update 19 April 2021
- Inexpensive shipment of germ-free and Gnotobiotic animals 29 March 2021
DVC – Digital Ventilated Cage for digital vivarium
The DVC® is capable to provide novel insights and enhance animal welfare checks thanks to the automatic data collection directly from the cage level. Specifically designed DVC® board enables different benefits for the researchers and vivarium people.